Lee Mays is an Online Tutor at AAA Tutoring – Africa
My name is Lee Mays and I live in Hermanus in South Africa. I speak Afrikaans and English fluently. I am married and have a ten-year-old daughter.
After spending fifteen years in the motor industry, I decided to follow my dream and started studying at the age of 39.
I am a qualified TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teacher and I am in my third year studying towards a B.Ed.
I spent three years teaching less fortunate children as a remedial teacher. I found this very rewarding and enjoyed it thoroughly, but my passion is teaching our teachers of tomorrow. Given the current situation with COVID-19, it is moms (parents) who have had to step in and become their child’s teacher, often with little knowledge or understanding in how to teach.
This is where I come in. With lectures/topics aimed at covering everything from motivating you child to setting up a conducive learning environment in the home, I will give you the tools to be a better teacher to your child, and to get the most out of this new relationship.
In addition to parent education, I also love teaching the Afrikaans language to learners of any age group.
What I specialize in:
- Providing a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and imaginative play.
- Attending to children’s basic needs by feeding, dressing and changing them.
- Teaching basic skills such as colour, shape, number and letter recognition, personal hygiene and social skills.
- Establishing and enforcing rules for behaviour and procedures for maintaining order.
- Reading books to and with the children.
- Organising and leading activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development, such as games, art and crafts, music, storytelling and field trips.
- Observing and evaluating the children’s performance, behaviour, social development and physical health.
- Communicating with parents and guardians.
- Teaching proper eating habits and personal hygiene.